5 Takeaways from Chaper 5: Differentiating in Response to Student Readiness - History Gal

5 Takeaways from Chaper 5: Differentiating in Response to Student Readiness

The Musings of a History Gal
I have to admit, while this chapter is full of great information and ideas, it is a little overwhelming to think of its complete implementation. As a teacher who taught on average 180 students a year on an A/B rotating block schedule, the sheer magnitude of differentiating for student readiness for 180 students makes my head pound.

There are several places in the chapter where I wrote comments in the margins like "how do teachers have time to do this?!" The idea of having to look through 180 preassessments a few days before a new unit and then use that data to create ways to differentiate the unit had me wondering if the authors had really even taught in a high school. However, the more I read, the more intrigued I became and here are 5 things I plan on doing.

The Musings of a History Gal5 Takeaways from This Chapter:


1. At the beginning of the year, assess students' readiness in reading, writing, and listening by having them (1) write out a set of directions, (2) read a passage and answer questions, (3) listen to me read a passage and then answer questions. This way I can identify students who struggle and will need help.

2. Create tiered reading assignments that cover the same essential content, but in a way that struggling students will understand and non-struggling students can be challenged.

3. Redefine preassessment. In my mind, a preassessment is a test. But, it doesn't have to be! It could be as simple as having students move to a certain corner of the room based on what they know about a topic we will be covering. For example:

The Musings of a History Gal

4. Create more checkpoints during a unit to make sure students are understanding what we are covering.

5. Remember that students' readiness is not static - it changes from topic to topic and skill to skill.

Did you miss my summary of Chapter 5? Read it here.

  If you enjoyed this post, you should sign up for my monthly newsletter for more great ideas, tips, and exclusive freebies!

2 comments

  1. I love the 4 corners idea as a pre assessment--I will be borrowing. Thanks, Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you'll be able to use it!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top